We offer leveled ballet study incorporating the ABT National Training Curriculum for ages 5 & up. We provide excellence in dance training for students who have the desire to pursue a professional career, university study or for pure enjoyment!
Huntington Center for Performing Arts is pleased that the school’s faculty is comprised of ABT® Affiliate & Certified Teachers of the AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE® National Training Curriculum. A program used by many ballet schools affiliated with professional ballet companies. Visit the ABT glossary of ballet terms at http://abt.org/education/dictionary/index.html
Huntington Ballet Academy Classes
Level 1 (ages 7-9 or by placement)
- This class transitions dancers from Primary work to basic barre, center work and allegro and lays the foundation for dancers wanting to continue towards the higher levels of ballet technique. Students will master that final level of refinement of the Primary curriculum. This class includes conditioning, center work, turns, and allegro while introducing more complex coordination, musicality and expression. More emphasis on development of strength, flexibility and turnout.
- 2 days technique
Level 2 (ages 8-10 or by placement)
- Dancers in this level have mastered the Primary curriculum and are ready for a full class of barre, center, turns, allegro and conditioning. This level lays the technical foundation for all the upper levels in coordination, movement quality and musicality. Emphasis is placed on correct posture, placement and turnout so that dancers develop the strength and flexibility to master the exercises and combinations. Working knowledge of ballet theory is introduced in this level. 2 days technique plus conditioning/week
Level 3A (ages 9+ by placement)
- This level is the next step in connecting basic ballet technique with more complex rhythm and coordination. Dancers will be refining their technical base including posture, turnout and placement while broadening their movement vocabulary. Class includes barre, center, turns, allegro and conditioning. Classes emphasize exercises to develop strength and endurance, linking movements into combinations that develop artistry. Working knowledge of ballet theory and history is also emphasized.
- 3 days technique, conditioning
Level 3B/4 (ages 11+ by placement)
- This class will include full barre, center, turns, allegro, conditioning and pre-pointe. Classes will further develop rhythms, coordination, weight shifting, beats and turns while refining posture, placement and turnout. Builds upon previous levels, introducing more complex movements and spatial patterns. Some dancers may be given permission to start introductory pointe work.
- 5 days technique, pre-pointe & conditioning